http://www.wolfescience.com/byojeopardy/
This site offers a free, easy-to-use, and easy-to-customize Jeopardy game. Jeopardy is a great way to have fun, assess, and reinforce information. It's appropriate for all ages. If you have a projector in your classroom, you can just put this on the wall, and boom, you're good.
In April, I used this program with an intermediate ESL class at LaGuardia Community College in Queens, NY, and it was a slam dunk. Participation was high, and while the game was based on material they weren't previously familiar with prior to the hour long lesson, they did well. I'd recommend using this program at the end of a lesson or unit, when students have a chance to really get to know the material. Several students approached me after the lesson to inquire about the software as a studying tool. Certainly they could use it as a study tool with vocabulary (though I'd recommend Quizlet for that) or simple trivia or other uses.
The program is easy to use; all you need is the Internet and a projector and you can put it up on the wall. Having a buzzer, or something that makes noise, is also useful. Finally, having prizes is also a great way to get your students into the game. I had some candy for each member of the winning team and a magnet I bought that morning for the winning team's MVP. Keep in mind: most students aren't familiar with the rules of Jeopardy. I kept it pretty informal; the primary goal was to have fun and test their new knowledge on the topic of the lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment